What are spiritual gifts?
A spiritual gift is an extraordinary power given by the Holy Spirit. These are the supernatural graces which individual Christians need to fulfill the mission of the Church. In the narrowest sense, it is a theological term for the extraordinary graces given to individual Christians for the good of others and is distinguished from the graces given for personal sanctification, such as the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit and the fruit of the Holy Spirit.
Overview of Spiritual Gifts
The New Testament contains several lists of spiritual gifts. Most of these gifts are mentioned in the Pauline epistles. While each list is unique, there is overlap.
|Romans 12:6–8||1 Corinthians 12:8–10||1 Corinthians 12:28–30||Ephesians 4:11||1 Peter 4:11|
|Prophecy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Giving, Leadership, Mercy||Word of wisdom, Word of knowledge, Faith, Gifts of healing, Miracles, Prophecy, Distinguishing between spirits, Tongues, Interpretation of tongues||Apostle, Prophet, Teacher, Miracles, Kinds of healing, Helps, Administration, Tongues||Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor, Teacher||Whoever speaks, Whoever renders service|
While not specifically defined as spiritual gifts in the Bible, other abilities and capacities have been considered as spiritual gifts by some Christians. Some are found in the New Testament such as:
- celibacy (1 Corinthians 7:7)
- hospitality (1 Peter 4:9–10)
- intercession (Romans 8:26–27)
- marriage (1 Corinthians 7:7)
- (effective) witnessing (Acts 1:8, 5:32, 26:22, 1 John 5:6)
Others are found in the Old Testament such as:
- craftsmanship (such as the special abilities given to artisans who constructed the Tabernacle in Exodus 35:30–33)
- interpretation of dreams (e.g. Joseph and Daniel) in Genesis 43-50, Daniel 2
- composing spiritual music, poetry, and prose
In conclusion, the purpose of the spiritual gifts assessment is to determine what line of service you are best at in making the ministry kingdom driven for Jesus Christ. Please fill out the form below to discover your spiritual gifts today.